Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Happyface

I pulled another old CD out of my trusty carrying case last weekend to make a copy for one of Megan's friends. After this, it seems to have found it's way into my car CD player and has yet to be removed. The album is Rubberneck by The Toadies from back in my high school days (Released in 1994). One of the songs, "Happyface" brought back an interesting memory. I remember laying awake, my plans for a peaceful night's sleep dashed by the obnoxious sound of a cricket chirping from somewhere in my bedroom. I remember looking for it for a while on separate days trying to figure out where it was hiding but to no avail. Eventually, I would end up trying to just ignore it and covering my head with a pillow to try to drown out its incessant racket.

Finally, one night it was quiet enough that I was able to pinpoint where the little bastard was (inside of a shoe) and took care of the problem. In that moment, The Toadies song "Happyface" seemed completely appropriate... so I broke out the album and listened to it right then. I'm sure that the song wasn't written about a cricket, but it seemed perfect for this occasion. For anyone curious, here are the lyrics:

I try to wish you away
I'll do more than wishin' someday
No no no more son of a bitch
No no no more wishin'
No no no more son of a bitch
No more happyface!

You and I have nothin' more to say
We'll do more than talkin' someday
No no no more son of a bitch
No no no more talkin'
No no no more son of a bitch
No more happyface!

No no no more son of a bitch
No no no more talkin'
No no no more son of a bitch
No more happyface

If I
could find
the will
to KILL!
Here we go again

No no no more son of a bitch
No no no no more son of a bitch
No no no more son of a bitch
No more happy face

If I
Could find
the will
to KILL
Well, I'll kill you son of a bitch!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could have just put it outside.

Andrew said...

I purposefully left the method of "taking care of the problem" ambiguous just because I knew what you would think when reading this post. Ha!

Moflo said...

I'm probably going way out on a limb here, but I think posting the song lyric "Well, I'll kill you son of a bitch" directly after your cricket tale doesn't leave anything very ambiguous.

Andrew said...

Ah, but the whole lyric is... "If I could find the will to kill, well, I'll kill you son of a bitch!" The ambiguity is in the "if" part of the statement and the future tense. Of course, I played the song after I had found the cricket... but that's beside the point.

Moflo said...

Uh-huh.