Thursday, September 27, 2007

Music

When I'm driving to and from work or wherever, I tend to be the type of driver that is crazily singing along with the radio/CD playing in the car while driving incredibly fast and moving through traffic . I have no idea how other people perceive me as a driver, they may think I am insane or just ridiculously angry. Honestly, I don't care. Even with distractions, I know that I'm a much better driver than almost anyone else on the road and I trust my instincts. I haven't caused any accidents with other vehicles but have avoided many, sometimes very narrowly.

Music tends to keep me in a lighthearted mood and generally calms me down. When I find music that I like, I usually end up knowing the guitar parts, guitar solos, lyrics and vocal styling so well that I could probably perform in a band if I really had the urge to (as a vocalist, I know what the guitar parts sound like and can reproduce them vocally, but I never learned to play the guitar - maybe I should work on that). A few months ago, I joked with my brother and (now) sister-in-law that I would volunteer to perform a song at their wedding. I'm sure that they knew that I really had no intention of doing this (especially since the song I suggested was Pantera's Cowboys From Hell), but I could have and even sounded reasonably like their lead singer. Will I ever use my talent for musical mimicry? The answer is probably no... but I'm sure it would be a lot of fun. Maybe I will give it a shot someday.

What is the album currently in my car CD player? Thanks for asking - it's Shinedown's Leave a Whisper from 2003. Wow, what a great album. Four tracks from this disc received radio play and they're all great songs. Most of the other tracks are pretty damn good also. Check it out if you haven't heard it. I will conclude this post with some deep lyrics from this Shinedown. I think that probably everyone has felt this way at some point, but the end of the verse, I think, is the right attitude to have. Everyone will be perceiving you as you are walking down your own life's path. What is the point in trying to conform to everyone else's beliefs? It's your life, make your own way.

"I can't escape the pain

I can't control the rage
Sometimes I think that I'm gonna go insane
I'm not against what's right
I'm not for what's wrong
I'm just makin' my way then I'm gone"

-Shinedown from "Fly From the Inside"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were that into music. I also didn't know you were joking about performing at our wedding. I am still waiting for that performance.


I suppose you will have to "share" this album with me the next time I see you? ;)

Andrew said...

The wedding has passed, you missed your chance for that performance, you should have scheduled it if you really wanted it.

I actually may have already "shared" that album with you. Take a look and let me know.