Friday, September 21, 2007

Reunion Part I

Well, today is the beginning of the NKCHS 10 year reunion. I really can't believe that it's been ten years since I left KC for school. What's even more depressing is that it's been ten years, and I still don't have a "real" job. I'm working as a post-doc now, which is basically the transition from graduate school to a more permanent job. It's fulfilling some of the "experience" that constantly shows up in the job postings. Every body wants someone with experience in the field... but how do you get experience in the field coming out of school... apparently you put in your time as an indentured servant, then, maybe, if you're lucky you can get an actual job.

Anyway, for the first day of the reunion, some people are meeting at the park across from the high school for a picnic, then heading to watch the old alma mater play their weekly football game. I'm not too excited about watching high school football... since I'm not in high school or have children or friends with children that are in high school. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge football fan - I just prefer to watch football being played "well". College football is good, but pro football is better. I'm not sure that high school football is even on my map. But, some of my oldest friends are going to the game, therefore, I'm going to the game with them. Bowing to peer pressure once again - works every time.

I'm sure that the game will be uninteresting, but catching up with old friends should be fun. A couple friends that I've known since middle school or before , but have since lost contact with after leaving for college, are coming into town for the reunion. I've wondered for some time how they've been doing, but actually lacked the motivation to actually find out. Why does this happen? I really should be better at keeping up relationships with friends than I have been - it only takes a couple minutes to send an email. I say this, but I probably won't do anything about it.

I will be posting more on the reunion as it happens. I hope that I'll run into some people I'm not expecting... we'll see if anyone even remembers me. It should be interesting at the least, but I'm not expecting much. The lower the expectations, the less likely you are to be disappointed - a good motto to live by.

No comments: