Monday, April 27, 2009

Milestone!: Made the 5k My Bitch

Please pardon the lack of substantive posting. I've been a little down recently amidst a series of random crappy events that somewhat tapped my urge to write much of anything worthwhile. Although I have a backlog of around 10-15 partially assembled posts in a cache (possibly never to be seen by anyone other than myself), I reached an achievement worth bypassing the cache and writing directly for posting.

A few months ago, I started a blog series on this health kick (see earlier posts 1, 2, 3, 4) and my quest to drop 32 pounds in six months. I haven't updated that series in quite some time (although there were two different posts in this often mentioned "cache" no one has ever seen). So here's the quick update - I made it to the halfway point after about eight weeks... when a series of minor injuries took me completely off the exercise schedule for recovery. I managed to hold the same weight from then until about three weeks ago when I restarted the plan. So, now with about eight weeks to go, I have about ten pounds left to reach the goal. I don't think it will be terribly difficult because I haven't tried that hard the last month... my eating habits have slacked, I'm not drinking enough water, blah blah blah... On to the achievement!

Tonight, April 27th, 2009, at approximately 9:45PM, I, Andrew Skaff, completed a 5k (3.1 miles) on a treadmill. Total time elapsed - 27'39", which is just slightly faster than a nine minute per mile pace. Considering I had yet to run more than two miles consecutively prior to today, I can't complain at all about being able to take out the full 3.1 miles. Now that I've cooled down (while writing this post)... I'm going to go pass out.

3 comments:

kilax said...

Good for you Andrew! Steven and I have been thinking about you and wondering how your fitness regime was going :)

Being set back by injuries is so frustrating. I am happy you were able to get back into it so quickly.

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way I had a mark that I was happy with.
2 miles, 14 minutes flat.

Suck on that!

-Matt

Andrew said...

Matt - Nice job, nemesis. I think I would have dropped if I tried to go any further than one mile at a seven minute/mile pace... It nearly killed me.