Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Grandma Skaff

The Skaff family matriarch passed away last night, just one week shy of her 91st birthday. She was the type of person that would give you a hug the first time she met you, welcome you to her home and provide you with enough food to make you feel full well into the next day. While she may have been the most stubborn person I have ever known, without that quality, I would never have been born (her doctor told her not to have a second child, but she wouldn't listen, then had my dad).

I am very thankful that I chose to attend Iowa State University after finishing high school because that gave me nine years spent in close proximity with her that I would have never gotten should I have chosen to go elsewhere. I know that she appreciated having me close and seeing her and seeing her happy has meant a lot to me.

There was nothing she wanted more than to be surrounded by family and friends, and to be able to take care of as many people as possible. She grew up taking care of her family, cooking the meals, making the beds, working on the farm... all while going to school. She dedicated her entire life to ensuring other people's happiness. There are very few people like her in this world and she deserved the admiration that everyone had for her.

I love you, Grandma. You will be missed.


2 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Andrew.
--Kristi (ISU)

Gina (Mannyed) said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother, Andrew. My grandmother passed away in September so I can understand a lil bit about what you are going through. I hope the wonderful memories of your grandmother will be around when you need it the most.